This recipe was my mother’s recipe that I have passed down to my children and now my grandchild. Every time I make it a batch it reminds me of growing up and that irresistible smell in the house when my mother was baking all those years ago. I hope you enjoy them!
1/3 cup shortening
1 cup of sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoon vanilla
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup nuts (optional)
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven 350 degrees
1. Mix flour, salt and baking soda in a bowl. Set aside.
2. Cream shortening, white sugar, and brown sugar with an electric mixer until well mixed.
3. Add eggs, one at a time and mix well after each egg. Then add vanilla.
4. Add flour mixture, a little at a time, and mix well.
5. Add chocolate chips and hand stir in until mixed well.
Using ice cream scoop or tablespoon, place cookie dough on a baking sheet.
Bake 8-10 minutes, rotating halfway through baking until edges start to brown.
Cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.