Farmer Markets throughout the Capital Region are adapting to the new COVID environment and are open for the warmer months with new protocols in place to keep you safe. Don’t expect to see crafts and live music this year. The focus is on farms, food, and function over festivals, but you’ll still find that farm-fresh locally grown produce that you love.
Farmers Markets are essential to the local food network, linking local produce to local customers in a healthy and safe way while supporting the local agricultural economy! They give us a wonderful opportunity to consume farm-fresh, locally grown food and support local vendors who come from all over the region to share their bounty of fresh fruits & vegetables, meats & eggs, maple & honey products, breads & baked goods, cheese, hummus, flowers and much more. We’re excited that they are back!
We’ve done a little research a for you and pulled together a list of a few of the most popular farmer’s markets that we could confirm are open along with a few details about their new protocols here:
The Troy Waterfront Farmers Market (TWFM)
Open Saturdays 8:30 am – 2:00 pm
Sign up for shopping time slots
Location: OUTDOOR Saturday Market at Riverfront Park, downtown Troy
Moving into Phase II the market is now back at Riverfront Park. The number of vendors will double from 25 up to 50, so they are increasing the number of customers allowed into the market area to 250, and parking is available in the Uncle Sam Parking Garage and on Troy city streets.
Customers are encouraged to sign up for a 20-minute time block on the TWFM website, with room for 50 walk ups during any one shopping period. There will be separate lines for reserved spots and walk-up with social distancing markers stretching multiple blocks.
Reusable bags are now welcome again. Masks are to be worn by ALL market participants. NO PETS ALLOWED, excluding service animals.
TWFM is strongly encouraging customers to take advantage of virtual shopping. They’ve made the process easy: 1) register online for free, 2) choose your items & place your order online, 3) pick up your order on Sunday with drive by service at Carioto’s Produce in Green Island.
The Schenectady Greenmarket
Open Sundays 10am – 2pm from May through October
Location: around City Hall on Franklin St. and Jay St.
The Schenectady Greenmarket features over 60 vendors and is open Sundays from 10 am – 2 pm. Free parking available within walking distance of City Hall and Proctors in the Broadway parking garage, as well as in six surface lots. All lots are handicap accessible.
New COVID-19 protocols (please check website for full list):
- Wear a mask at all times. 1 customer at a stall at a time.
- Maintain social distancing of 6”
- Only vendors allowed handle the product.
- No sampling
- Shop alone & quickly
- Market may limit the number of customers shopping at any given time
The Delmar Farmers Market
Opening May 16th
Open Saturdays 9 am – 1 pm
Location: (new) Elm Avenue Park in Bethlehem
For over 10 years, the farmers, food vendors & artisans of Delmar Farmers Market have provided the Capital Region with an accessible, sustainable means to support and grow our local economy and are excited to be returning this year with special COVID-19 protocol in place to keep everyone safe.
- Social distancing (6’) is required. We reserve the right at any time to limit # of customers to allow for proper social distancing.
- Special hours for seniors and high-risk patrons only from 9 am – 10 am^
- All customers must wear facial coverings.
- Customers will be prohibited from touching or sampling vendor products. Vendors will serve you, and ask for assistance if needed.
- Prepared food will be sold on a takeout basis only.
- There will be no place to sit or eat at the market.
- All food will be packaged.
- Hand sanitizer will be made available.
- No craft or non-food vendors
- All forms of entertainment including chef/cooking demonstration will be suspended.
- There will be two hand-washing stations available for public and vendor use.
- No public restrooms will be available.
- No pets will be allowed.
Saratoga Farmers’ Market
Open Wednesdays from 3 pm – 6 pm & Saturdays from 9 am – 1pm
Location: (new) Wilton Mall (Bow Tie/Bon-Ton parking lot)
The Saratoga Farmers’ Market kicked off its summer season May 6th with many changes in response to the Coronavirus pandemic.
The market hours will shift to 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturdays and 3 to 6 p.m. Wednesdays. The market also will not be returning to High Rock Park this summer. It will continue to operate outdoors at the Wilton Mall.
The market had been operating in the mall’s food court area since before the pandemic. It closed for one week in mid-March, and then reopened outdoors in the parking area between the former Bon Ton and B.J.’s Wholesale Club six weeks ahead of schedule.
The market has been following strict social distancing requirements. Vendors are spaced several feet apart and keep gloves, disinfectant wipes, and hand sanitizer on their tables. Face coverings must be worn. Customers are asked to remain six feet apart from vendors and each other, not handle produce, and to leave their dogs at home. No music or other entertainment will be offered at this time. Only food and hand sanitizer produced by local distilleries has been available for purchase.
If you are not able to make it to the market, SFM’s website has a list of alternate ways per vendor for customers to connect with local farmers and producers (online, farm stands, other stores).
Clifton Park Farmers’ Market
Opening June 1st
Open Mondays 2pm – 5pm
Location: Shenendehowa Methodist Church Parking Lot (971 Route 146)
This year the Clifton Park Farmers Market is featuring six fantastic local vendors selling a full range of fresh products. While located in the same place, their new layout will provide ample room to allow for social distancing.
Additional COVID-19 protocols will include:
- All customers must wear a mask at all times in the market
- Only one customer per stall at a time – keep 6 ft distance from other shoppers
- Only vendors can handle their products (you may touch only after purchasing) and sampling of products is suspended – try something new!
- We encourage sending no more than two members of your household and to leave your furry friends at home
Follow the Clifton Park Farmers’ Market Facebook page to stay updated– they will be posting more as they prepare for opening day.