I discovered this recipe when co-hosting a baby shower for my niece. My niece is married to a pilot in the air-force and they are based in Oklahoma – far away from home. My sister, Mary Lee, was so ecstatic when they told her that they were flying home to see the family before she had the baby! It was my sister’s first grand baby so it was a big deal. Of course, we decided to through together a shower for her.
One of my tasks (given to me by my niece) was to make lemon squares. Who doesn’t love lemon squares at a shower, right? Unfortunately, I had no clue how to make them and my niece was very clear that she wanted the “good” kind. I didn’t even know what that meant. Luckily my nephew’s wife came to my rescue with this amazing recipe from her sister. I made these a couple of days before the shower and threw them in the refrigerator. I pulled them out a couple of hours before the shower and everyone loved them!
4 Tbsp. Powdered sugar
- Combine the flour, powdered sugar & butter for the crust with a pastry blender.
- Press dough into a 9″x13″ pan.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs & sugar until well blended
- Add in lemon zest & lemon juice into mixture
- Sift together four and baking powder
- Add flour mixture into the large bowl with the rest of the filing
- Whisk all ingredients until well blended
- Putting it all together
- Pour filling over baked crust.
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes until lightly browned and set.
- Let cool.
- Finishing touches
- Top with powdered sugar.
- Refrigerate before cutting into squares for the best results.
Mary Lee, Kyle, Christin (my niece) & Ellie